Wednesday, July 13, 2011

simple living

I love the idea of simple living:

composting (check)
growing some of our own food (check, although I think we can do better)
eating fresh produce and buying local (check)
being conscious of not being wasteful (check)
having one car (we have a long way to go - two cars and a truck)
reusing and sprucing up old furniture (check)
use some of my fabric stash on sewing projects (check)

After we moved in, I discovered that our property consisted of rock-hard dirt.  
I remember jumping on the shovel with all of my weight, and the shovel went nowhere.
I was pretty depressed because this yard needed a lot of work (it still does!)

Steve built me a couple of raised beds and I have been building a few, too.



He also did some research and bought me a composter for my birthday.
Now I will tell you, at the time, he was at some meeting at church
(with a bunch of women)
and they were shocked that he would buy something like that for my birthday.
He told them that was what I wanted.
They think I am weird.


But, never having been one for fancy jewelry or clothes, 
I was thrilled, I tell you, thrilled!

So, to get some yummy soil, I cook mine.
All it takes is adding crushed leaves, or a bag of sawdust
(one advantage of having a carpenter as a husband)
plus saving scraps of fruit, vegetables, and tea and coffee grounds.

Dump.

Spin.


Wait.

Yum!

Yes, my soil is rapidly improving.  
I can now easily get a shovel into the dirt.


And, plants are actually growing!





I just recently found a type of sifter that will separate the good compost from the still composting chunks.  This simple screen was $$$.
I know dear Steve has some wood and screening somewhere to make one for me.
Yes, that is what I need!

Here's to simple living!

Take care,

Denise



No comments:

Post a Comment