Saturday, February 4, 2012

Christmas project #2

I had some second thoughts about giving Erin something that she needed to work on each day.
But the idea was so lovely, I thought she might actually enjoy it.

Having seen many versions of the perpetual calendar,
I loved the version from Design Sponge using old berry boxes.
I have three old berry boxes,
but decided on using a blue Anthropology berry bowl, since this was a gift.
If the daily journaling became too much,
I figured Erin would make good use of such a pretty berry bowl.

The idea behind a perpetual calendar is to have a one sentence entry each day of the year.
I figured with August around, there was always something to write about.
The real treat comes during the second year (and each year from then on.)
As you write your second year entry, you can relive that day from the year before.
You just need to be patient to get through that first year.

The procedure is quite simple:

1.  Find the perfect container.
(Garage sales, antique stores, thrift shops, and of course Anthropology are full of  inspiring containers.)

2.  Find something fun to divide the months.
(I used old post cards, but colorful paper, old notecards, photos, etc. would work equally well.)
Again, check the above places for some fun possibilities.

3.  Stamp each month on your dividers.


4.  Cut and stamp enough 3 x 5 cards for each day of the year.
(I needed to cut my cards a bit to get them to fit in the basket.)
(This is time consuming.
Plus, if you get interrupted, you might miss a day or duplicate a day.
So, be sure to check each month before you wrap up your gift.
This may or may not have happened to me.)

5.  Finally, arrange your calendar.


I really do love this idea.
Who else needs one?


Take care,
Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment